Fire Protection Assessments

If you are a property owner in unincorporated Cowlitz County you will be assessed a forest patrol fee for each parcel you own. This money is collected by the county treasurer and remitted to the Washington State Department of Natural Resources. If your parcel is under 50 acres, you are billed a flat fee for each parcel you own. If you have more than one rural parcel under 50 acres in the same legal ownership and have paid more than one flat rate fee, you are entitled to a refund. Your annual assessment must be paid in full to qualify for a refund. Refund forms must be submitted prior to December 31st each year.

Link to Department of Natural Resources FFPA page

Department of Natural Resources Wildfire Brochure

FFPA Refund Application

Understanding Forest Fire Protection Assessment Rates

The county Treasurer must verify and sign your completed refund application certifying that the assessments were paid. Please return the form to our office prior to December 31st and we will submit it to DNR for you.

Mail or bring in completed form to:

                Cowlitz County Treasurer

                207 4th Ave N

                Rm 202

                Kelso, WA 98626