What is a Process Server?
A person who serves legal process for a fee in the state of Washington. RCW 18.180
Requirements for Process Servers
- Must be eighteen years of age or older
- Must be a resident of the state of Washington
- Must register with the Auditor of the county in which they reside or operate his or her principal place of business
Exceptions to Requirements
- A sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, constable, or government employee who is acting in the course of employment
- An attorney or the attorney's employees, who are not serving process on a fee basis
- A person who is court appointed to serve the court's process
- A person who does not receive a fee or wage for serving process
Registration as Process Server
Process servers must register with the Auditor of the county in which the process server resides or operates his or her principal place of business.
Fee - $10.00
A process server must renew the registration within one year of the date of the initial registration, or within ten days of any of the following changes to identifying information, whichever occurs sooner.
- the name of his or her business
- business address
- business telephone number
The process server shall pay the registration fee upon renewal.
Process Server Application