University Voters

As a student, you probably change your address more frequently than the average voter. Remember to update your voter registration each time you move to ensure you get a ballot!

University and college students may register to vote in Washington if you have lived in the state for at least 30 days and have established a residential address in the state. Please note that Washington State residency requirements for voting are not the same as residency for in-state tuition purposes. You may vote in only one state. If you were previously registered in another state, cancel your registration in that state when you register in Washington.

Get Registered

  1. online
  2. in person
  3. mail

Click the VoteWA icon to register online.

VoteWa Logo Opens in new window

You must have a valid Washington State Drivers’ License, ID, or permit to register this way.


  • Your residential address determines the races and measures on your ballot. It must be a Washington State address that you consider home.
  • Campus addresses generally require a dormitory and room number to ensure mail is delivered to the right location.
  • A PO Box is not a residential address.
  • Your mailing address is where your ballot will be mailed. Your ballot can be sent anywhere in the world. (Ex: listing your parents' home as your residential address and listing a PO Box as your mailing address.)
  • Voting more than once is a felony. You may vote in one county in one state. Keep this in mind when deciding if you want to list your home or school address for your voter registration. Should you accidentally receive two ballots, vote only once.