Accessible Voting

As a voter with a disability, you can request a reasonable accommodation or assistance to vote. Cowlitz County Elections is committed to ensuring accessibility at voting centers, and that you have the opportunity to vote privately and independently. We are here to help!

Voting centers must meet all of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. View the ADA checklist for voting centers for more information.

To request a reasonable accommodation or assistance, contact our office.

The technology exists today to provide voters with disabilities an accessible unit that allows them to vote confidently, independently, and privately. Each voting center is equipped with at least one Accessible Voting Unit (AVU), available 18 days before Election Day, until 8 p.m. on Election Day.


Cowlitz County Auditor’s Office

Address: 207 N 4th Avenue, Room 205, Kelso, WA 98626

Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. On Election Day, hours are 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Visit VoteWa for more information on voting centers in your county.

Accessible voting units

Accessible Voting Units (AVUs) are available for voters who want assistance in filling out a paper ballot.

· AVUs can display larger type or can provide an audio ballot for persons with visual or cognitive disabilities.

· Voters can cast their ballot by using the select wheel or tactile button options.

· The equipment also supports a limited number of assistive switches, like foot pedals, lap paddles, or a sip and puff. 

· The machine prints out a scannable, marked ballot which the voter can review. The ballot is then placed in an envelope and dropped into a ballot box with other ballots. 

· The ballots are then verified and processed in the Elections Office, just like every other ballot that is returned.

Identification required

Voters casting a ballot at an accessible voting center must either show a photo ID or sign a declaration. The signature on the declaration must match the signature in the voter registration record. (RCW 29A.40.160)

Assistance voting your ballot

Anyone may assist you in voting your ballot, except your employer or union representative. At a voting center, you may ask for two election workers - one from each political party - to help you fill out your ballot.

A person who has a guardian may still be able to vote and should not be turned away from a voting center by an election worker. Guardianship papers indicate if an individual has a right to vote. If there is ever doubt about a person’s voting status, the person should be issued a provisional ballot to vote with.


Register to Vote (paper)

Register to Vote (online)

Signature Update Form

Cancellation Form

Deceased Voter Form