Individual Water Wells

The Environmental Health Unit (EHU) is responsible for the certification of drillpotable water for individual and shared (two-party) water systems, pursuant to the Growth Management Act. Water Availability is the process by which the EHU determines a well provides potable water. Information about this process can be found in our Water Availability Packet.

A Department of Ecology permit, Notice of Intent to Construct a Water Well, [DOE] is required a minimum of 72 hours prior to well construction or decommissioning. Property owners or licensed drillers may apply for the permit with Department of Ecology. A list of licensed well drillers is available at Department of Ecology in Olympia. For more information about well water permits, please contact the Washington State Department of Ecology at (360-407-6859).

One of the most important factors to consider when purchasing property or building a home is the adequacy of the water supply. The Environmental Health Unit requires a minimum of 5 gallons of water per minute (gpm) for a minimum of two hours. Available water is a function of the flow of the aquifer, the recharge rate, and the storage volume of the well. A water supply capacity less that this amount may not be adequate to meet the needs of homeowners. The quality of water is an equally important consideration. We recommend consumers have yearly water quality tests performed on their drinking water supply.

How can I find out if there is arsenic in my drinking water?