What is the minimum acreage for subdivision?

If you are in a UZ zoning designation, the minimum area required for subdivision is determined by the 2017 Comprehensive Plan, and varies depending on the area and access to sewer and public water.  Use the 2017 Comprehensive Plan to determine the minimum acreage in your area. If you are in any other zoning designation, look to the zoning code for your minimum lot size.

Show All Answers

1. The lot is currently forested, should I harvest the trees first or talk to the Planning Department?
2. What kind of work requires a building permit?
3. Where do I get an electrical permit?
4. My lot is forested, what are my options to harvest trees to develop?
5. What is a Subdivision?
6. What design criteria do I need to meet?
7. I removed some acreage from DFL, can I harvest trees to prepare the building site?
8. What is a Short Subdivision?
9. My land was recently harvested with a Department of Natural Resources Permit. What do I need to do to develop on my property?
10. What is an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit)?
11. I want to build a second home on my lot for my aging parent(s) or caregiver, what options do I have?
12. Can I rent out my ADU to a non-family member?
13. Can I build an ADU in an Unzoned area?
14. Where can I build a three unit development consisting of the primary dwelling, and two ADU’s?
15. How many additional on-site parking spaces are required for the ADU?
16. Can I use my household well and septic system for my new ADU?
17. My property has a mapped ‘Shoreline’ What does this mean?
18. I want to do work within a mapped shoreline on my property?
19. My property description says ‘DFL’ what does this mean?
20. How do I determine the Zoning or Comprehensive Plan designation of my lot?
21. What does ‘Unzoned’ [UZ] mean?
22. Is Unzoned land compatible with home construction?
23. What is the minimum acreage for subdivision?
24. Can I start the Planning Clearance process prior to purchasing the land?
25. I am trying to determine project feasibility, can I set up a meeting to talk about the process?
26. What is a Staff Consultation?
27. Does Cowlitz County charge Growth Management Act (GMA) impact fees?
28. I want to build a shop. What is my first required permit?
29. I want to build a house. What is my first required permit?
30. My lot needs an address, what are my options?
31. I need guidance on my multi-family project, where do I start?
32. My building site is near a stream or river, what options do I have?
33. My lot has a mapped landslide, what options do I have?
34. Is stormwater review necessary?
35. I used the EPIC map and my property has mapped erosive soils. What does this mean?
36. Where do I get a Mobile Home Alterations Permit?