Concealed Pistol License

***EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the Cowlitz County Sheriff’s Office has suspended ALL fingerprinting until further notice. This includes original concealed pistol license applications.

Original CPL

(Never applied before, or expired more than 90 days) You may apply for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) in person at the Sheriff’s Office Monday through Friday, between 8:30am and 5pm, excluding holidays. The fee is $49.25 payable in cash or check only.

If you live inside the city limits of one of the five (5) incorporated cities in Cowlitz County, you are encouraged to apply for a CPL at your local police department.

Renewing CPLs

You may renew your CPL in person at the Sheriff’s Office Monday through Friday, between 8:30am and 5pm, excluding holidays. If you live inside city limits, you are encouraged to renew your CPL at your local police department.

*You must reside within Cowlitz County or outside Washington State.
*You may renew your CPL up to 90 days before the expiration date on your CPL through 90 days after the expiration date.
--Beyond 90 days, you will be required to apply for an original CPL, including applicable fees.
*You must provide photo identification with current address and your expiring CPL.
*Renewal fee is $32 if done in the 90 days before expiration; $42 if done within the 90 days after expiration. Renewal fee may be paid with cash or check only.

Replacing Lost CPLs

If your CPL was issued in Cowlitz County and has gotten lost or been destroyed or stolen, you may obtain a replacement CPL. The replacement fee is $10 cash or check.


Q: How long will it take to receive my CPL?
A: If your application is approved, both original and renewal CPLs are mailed within 30 days of the date of application.

Q: Are there other states where is my CPL valid?
A: Yes, there are other states that recognize the Washington CPL. However, you will need to check with the local jurisdiction within each state you plan to travel with a firearm. Others states may have their own rules and restrictions. The following states have reciprocity with the Washington State CPL (verified 8/26/2019):

Michigan (WA resident only)
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Dakota

This list is subject to change at any time. when traveling, it is best to verify reciprocity laws of the states in which you plan to be.

Contact an Oregon Sheriff’s Office to inquire about an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.