Proposed Changes to Cowlitz County Campgrounds Regulations
What is happening?
Cowlitz County is developing a Cowlitz County Code called “General Sanitation Requirements for Campgrounds in Cowlitz County.”
Why is the County developing “General Sanitation Requirements for Cowlitz County Campgrounds”?
- The current county code, CCC 18.56 Campground and Recreational Facilities was written in 1998 and is outdated.
- The existing code includes both Health Codes and Development Standards used by the Planning Department.
- The existing code makes it difficult for existing parks to expand.
What is the goal of the change?
- Separate the Health and Development Code Sections.
- Clarify authority and responsibility.
- Reduce regulatory burden for expansion of existing parks.
- Improve development predictability for property owners.
Building and Planning Changes:
- SEPA Completed in February 2022
- “Campground and Recreation Facility” approved by the Cowlitz County Planning Commission in October 2022
- Next step: Public Hearing for proposed changes when the Health code is ready.
Health Department Changes:
- SEPA Completed in November 2022
- 1/24/2023: A draft of the new code “General Sanitation Requirements for Cowlitz County Campgrounds” was introduced to the Board of Health (BOH).
- 2/24/2023: A draft and red-line version of the new code “General Sanitation Requirements for Cowlitz County Campgrounds” introduced to the BOH.
- 3/1/2023: Work session with the BOH to discuss the new county code related to the health requirements.
- Next Step: 3/8/2023 Work session with the BOH to discuss the new county code related to the health requirements.