COVID-19 Rent & Utility Assistance

Washington State issued an eviction moratorium on 3/20/2020, preventing evictions during the Coronavirus Pandemic (20-19 Evictions).  With the eviction moratorium scheduled to expire 6/30/2021, Washington State issued a Bridge for Tenancy Preservation on 6/29/2021 (21-09 Tenancy Preservation – A Bridge to E2SSB 5160).   Federal and State resources have been made available to assist qualifying households and landlords with past-due rent and utilities.  


Eviction Prevention Rent Assistance Program (ERAP) CLOSED

The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) and the Washington State Disaster Response Account, through the Department of Commerce, provided funds for an Eviction Prevention Rent Assistance Program (ERAP).  Cowlitz County received $2,083,392.00 for September 2020 through June 30, 2021 to prevent evictions by paying past due and future rent.  Please click below to view program data.

ERAP Summary Opens in new window

Treasury Rent Assistance Program (T-RAP)

The Federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, through the Department of Commerce, provided funds for the Treasury Rent Assistance Program (T-RAP).  Funds can pay past-due, current due, future rent, and utility arrears, targeting limited resources to those who have experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 outbreak and are at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.


The T-RAP program is currently OPEN, space is limited and eligibility and assistance is not guaranteed. Applications are being processed as quickly as possible and patience is greatly appreciated.


Who can apply

  • Tenants with past-due rent/utility (must be currently residing in the residence)
  • Landlords on behalf of tenants with past-due rent/utility
  • Utility provider on behalf of tenants with past-due utility

Please click here for more information on Eligibility & Prioritization

TRAP Eligibility Opens in new window

What you may receive 

Households can receive up to 12 months of financial assistance.  This can be a combination of rent and utility arrears, current rent and utility payments, and limited future rent payments.


What documents you may need to provide

Copy of proof of income for all household members (such as W-2, last month’s pay stubs, or tax form), copy of your lease, copy of past-due rent or utility bills showing any payments made and balance due for each month assistance is requested


Who to contact for assistance

Lower Columbia CAP 

Visit their website to fill out a pre-application:

Or call 360-425-3430 x288



Additional Resources

Northwest Justice Projectapply online or call 1-888-201-1014 

Center for Constructive Resolution and Conversation – Mediation Services

Attorney General’s question and complaint form about the statewide eviction proclamation is here or call (833) 660-4877. 

 Tenants Union of Washington State Tenants Rights Hotline: 206-723-0500.
Washington State Department of Commerce Landlord Mitigation Programs

  • Landlord Damage Relief Program: Landlords can receive up to $5,000 for repairs made to damage caused by a subsidized tenant and up to $1,000 plus up to 14 days of rent loss for making repairs required to pass an HQS inspection for subsidy.
  • Tenancy Preservation Program: Provides court-approved zero-interest loans to tenants to satisfy a judgment awarded to the landlord during an eviction for non-payment of rent and up to three months of future rents.
  • Landlord Covid Relief Program: Landlords can receive up to $15,000 for unpaid rents from March 1, 2020, through December 31, 2021.
  • Limited Landlord Relief Program: Low-income landlords can receive up to 80% of unpaid rents from March 1, 2020, through December 31, 2021.