How to terminate a No Contact Order

How to Ask the Court to Terminate or Modify a No Contact Order

  1. The Court issues No Contact Orders to try to reduce the risk that the protected person will be harmed by the defendant. If you are a person protected by a No Contact Order, you may ask the court to terminate or modify the order.
  2. Your request must be in writing. Request forms are available at the Court Office and here. The Court will also consider requests that don't use the Court's form, as long as your request clearly states your identity and the defendant's identity, and explains why you want to have the order terminated or modified. If you are asking to have the order modified, please explain exactly how you want it changed.
  3. If you and the defendant are or have been romantic partners, the Court will not consider your request until you provide proof of attending a victim counseling program conducted by the Emergency Support Shelter, or an equivalent program. The Court does this so you can make an informed decision about whether you want to have the defendant be allowed to contact you. The Court considers people to be "romantic partners" if they are current or former spouses; if they have a child in common; if they have or have had a dating relationship; etc. The Emergency Support Shelter is located in Kelso, and its telephone number is (360) 425-1176. The Court may waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances.
  4. Once your request is complete, the court clerk will schedule a hearing where a judge will rule on your request. If the case is awaiting trial, the hearing will be at least 5 days but not more than 20 days after the completed request is received. The clerk will give written notice to you, the prosecuting authority, and the defendant's attorney. If the defendant has no attorney, the clerk will give written notice to the defendant. If the defendant has been convicted of the charge, or if the defendant is on a program such as deferred prosecution or stipulated continuance, the hearing will be as soon as possible, and generally the Court will not give notice to any other party.