GovernmentDepartmentsOnline ServicesExploreHow Do I - Help Center
Click to Home
Board of Equalization

Filing deadline for the 2019 assessment - payable in 2020 - is July 1, 2019 OR within 30 days of when the Change of Value Notice is dated and mailed by the Assessor's Office, whichever is later.  You do not have to have your appeal in by July 1 if the NOV's have not been sent out.

   **New Online Residential Appeal Form**
Only use this form when appealing your Real Property Valuation.  This form is not to be used if you are a business and appealing your personal property value assessment. 

You will be given the opportunity to upload additional documents, files, pictures, etc. within the appeal or as a stand-alone submission.

The BOE will still accept appeals filed on paper. 

Please use Google Chrome for optimal performance. 

Click here to begin online Real Property Appeal Form   Click here to enter online BOE Petition Dashboard

If you disagree with the County Assessor's valuation of your property, you have the right to appeal.

To appeal an Assessor's 2019 valuation of property, citizens must file a complete appeal petition form with the Cowlitz County Board of Equalization. 

  • Page one (1) of your petition MUST be filled out in order for your packet to be considered complete. 
  • You MUST have an estimated true & fair market value in #3 in order for it to be accepted. Please make sure you double check your calculations.  
  •  You MUST have a specific reason for your appeal stated in #4. 
  • Incomplete packets will have a copy sent back to the appellant for correction with a deadline for resubmittal.


What does the Board of Equalization do?

The Board of Equalization assists in the administration of property valuation, providing an impartial citizen forum for property owners.  If a property owner disputes the assessed value of property, the Board of Equalization may hear the property owner's appeal and make a decision.

Remember - the Board of Equalization deals with valuation, not taxes.  Your taxes are based on the valuation of your property.  If you have a question regarding your property taxes, please contact the Cowlitz County Treasurer's Office. 

Questions regarding the value of your property?

If you have questions or changes regarding the value of your property we encourage you to contact the Assessor's Office at 360-577-3010.  If it appears an error may have been made, the department can conduct an assessment review and, if indicated, adjust the assessed value of the property. 

Previous years filed petitions:

Summary of 2012 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2013 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2014 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2015 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2016 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2017 Petitions Filed
Summary of 2018 Petitions Filed

Contact Us
Angela Jordan
Clerk of the Board of Equalization

Cowlitz County BOE
c/o Building and Planning
207 4th Ave. N.
Room 119
Kelso, WA 98626

Ph: 360-577-3015
Fx: 360-414-5550

711 or 800-833-6384
Washington Relay

Monday - Thursday 
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
*Closed Fridays*


Go To Search