What kind of work requires a building permit?
Most new construction, remodeling, and repair work that affect a building or structure will require a permit. The State of Washington under Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 19.27 and Cowlitz County have adopted the International Building, and Residential Codes, International Mechanical Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, and the International Fire Code as minimum construction standards for the state and Cowlitz County. While outlining minimum standards, these codes require permits to be issued, and inspections to be performed in order to verify compliance to the minimum construction standards.

Specialists from Building, Planning, and Environmental Health are available to help you determine what permitting will be required for your project or if you may have an exemption.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Subdivision?
2. What is a Short Subdivision?
3. What design criteria do I need to meet?
4. How do I determine the Zoning of my lot?
5. What does ‘Unzoned’ [UZ] mean?
6. Is Unzoned land compatible with home construction?
7. What is the minimum acreage for subdivision?
8. Can I start the Planning Clearance process prior to purchasing the land?
9. I am trying to determine project feasibility, can I set up a meeting to talk about the process?
10. What is a Staff Consultation?
11. Does Cowlitz County charge Growth Management Act (GMA) impact fees?
12. I want to build a shop. What is my first required permit?
13. I want to build a house. What is my first required permit?
14. My lot needs an address, what are my options?
15. I need guidance on my multi-family project, where do I start?
16. What kind of work requires a building permit?