Submitted by Ray Tumlinson, Building & Planning Department
Ingredient (yields 4 pints or 2 quarts)
- 2 lbs. green beans, ends cut off
- 2 1/2 cups cider
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 4 dried hot chili peppers
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 4 heads fresh dill Directions: 1. Trim the green beans evenly and wash.
2. Boil vinegar, water, and salt in a large pot.
3. In each of 4 one-pint jars, pack the green beans. To make this job easy we set the jar on its side and put the beans in so they look pretty in the jar.
4. Put one piece of dried hot pepper, one clove of garlic in each jar and top with a head of dill.
5. Pour the boiling liquid over all leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, adjust caps and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, starting the counting from the time the water comes back to a boil. Remove to a towel to cool for 24 hours.
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
Submitted by Marie Dang, Health Department
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
3 cloves garlic, crushed then chopped
1 T. olive oil
Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add olive oil to skillet and heat for about 1 minute. Add green beans and salt and pepper to skillet and cook, stirring frequently for about 5-10 minutes until done to your liking. Add garlic and cook for about another minute, stirring the entire time. Remove to serving dish and squeeze over lemon juice and zest some lemon on top. Adjust seasoning as needed.
As Bobby Flay likes to say, "You buy lemons, you get lemon zest for free." Use up the zest, it's yummy!
About 3 servings
Green Beans and AlmondsSubmitted by Debbie Bennett, Health Department
half a plastic produce bag of green beans
3.5 table spoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
Fresh Rosemary (to taste) salt and pepper to taste
Leave green beans long, but take off the ends.
Put ingredients into glass baking dish. Slather with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper, and top with almonds. Bake for 20 min on 350 degrees or until desired crispsness.
You can also do this on the outdoor grill by wrapping incredients in foil.